The Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre (OVC HSC) – in Guelph, ON – has an exciting temporary, part-time position (from May 2017 to May 2018) for a qualified professional.
As an experienced and qualified Pharmacy Technician, you will provide excellent pharmaceutical care to the patients of the Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre (OVC HSC), as well as provide drugs and information to our clinicians, hospital staff, students, clients, referring veterinarians and the research community, while following laws and regulations and OVC HSC policies and procedures.
In this role, you will be cross-trained in other technical and non-technical areas of the Health Sciences Centre, and will be assigned to work in a variety of service areas based on operational requirements. As a result, you must be prepared to work a variety of shifts, including evenings and weekends, to meet operational needs.
As a Pharmacy Technician, you will be accountable for a variety of duties and responsibilities, including:
- dispensing pharmaceuticals under a Pharmacist's/clinician's supervision pursuant to a prescription;
- issuing non-prescription drugs;
- maintaining relevant records and preparing reports;
- suggesting alternate availabilities for patient’s convenience;
- stocking, restocking and monitoring drug supplies in ward areas, including automated dispensing machines (Omnicells), and removing and returning expired stock to companies for credit;
- ensuring all medications are under proper storage conditions;
- preparing products requiring specialized techniques, including intravenous admixtures, parenteral nutrition and chemotherapy;
- specialty compounding of pharmaceuticals, including bulk external liquids, small and large volume parenterals, sterile eye drops, and oral liquids;
- repackaging manufacturer supplied items or bulk compounded items into smaller units for use throughout the hospital;
- ordering drugs and related items in accordance with University of Guelph purchasing policies;
- providing cross-functional guidance to new technicians and non-pharmacy staff.
To assume the role of Pharmacy Technician, you must have:
- Graduation from a recognized Pharmacy Technician Training program (RPhT certification preferred), plus up to two (2) years of practical experience in a hospital or a retail pharmacy setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of aseptic technique.
- Experience in manufacturing and compounding.
- Experience in the preparation of injectable chemotherapy drugs.
- Proficiency with pharmacy computer systems, hospital information systems, and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, time management and conflict management skills.
- The ability to work independently and in a team.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to change lives and improve life.
To view a detailed posting of this Pharmacy Technician position, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/hr/. Applications, quoting Hiring #2017-0123, must be sent to:
We thank all applicants for their interest, but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Guelph is committed to equity in its policies, practices and programs, supports diversity in its teaching, learning and work environments, and ensures that applications from members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered under its employment equity policy. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our University community are encouraged to apply.